Tuesday 19 June 2012

While I’m At it….

The nights here are cold (days are lovely) and there's nothing better as the day closes than to come home from work to the wonderful aroma of a meal that's been slow cooking all day. So prompted by Chookyblue's post a few weeks back I thought I'd share one of my favourite winter recipes. It's from the book Slow by Allyson Gofton - mouthwatering recipes for the slow cooker & crock pot.
Chicken & Lentil Curry - serves 8
cooking time low 6-7hours, high 3-4hours, plus extra 20 - 30 minutes
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp (I could only buy tamarind puree at the local, so I use this)
8 chicken leg & thigh portions - I use chicken lovely legs &/or skinless thighs
1 - 2 red onions, peeled & thickly sliced
1 cup red lentils
400gram can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander, optional
2 teaspoons ground cumin, optional
3 - 4 bunches fresh spinach
If you'd prefer a curry with more kick add 1/2 -1 tablespoon of chilli powder.
Scatter the onion and lentils into the slow cooker. Put the chicken pieces on top (I put mine in straight from the freezer, and then cook it on slow for the day. The chicken holds it's shape and it doesn't become overdone or stewy, as it might if the chicken wasn't frozen.)
In a jug, stir together the tamarind & chicken stock then add tomatoes, curry powder, garlic, ginger, coriander & cumin. Stir and then pour over the chicken and cover with the lid. Cook on low for about 8-9hours (only if the chicken is frozen, I’d reduce the cooking time if it’s fresh or defrosted).
Tear the spinach leaves from the coarser stems. Rinse and stir into the curry. Cook on low for a further 20-30 mins until the spinach has just wilted and the curry is hot. The recipe advises, you can then serve it with a little chopped onion & chopped fresh coriander or toasted cashew nuts (but I don't bother, by this time I'm hungry and can't wait) before serving with plenty of rice on the side. It is delicious and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
001

1 comment:

  1. lovely recipe thanks for sharing.............it sounds yummo.......

    ReplyDelete